I bet y’all thought I had dropped off the face of the earth again, huh? Not so, I’ve just been busier than a one-armed paper hanger. When I last wrote, I mentioned that I was working on my first crochet project in at leat 20 years — a baby blanket for the soon-to-be newest addition to our growing family.
I finally finished it last night – two weeks after the baby shower. So now I am able to keep a date with all of you for SoCS.
While crocheting provides a form of therapy, this first project was also very frustrating. I thought starting the project two weeks before the shower would be more than enough time to complete it. I was having difficulty mastering the pattern I wanted to use, so I switched to a different pattern. Then Murphy paid me a visit.
Ten rows to go and I discovered I wasn’t going to have enough yarn to complete that pattern. So I ripped it all out, rewound the yarn and tried again with the original pattern I wanted. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and mastered it, but not in time to have it ready for the baby shower.
Once I mastered the pattern, I had difficulty with my stitch tension. When I was young, using an aluminum hook was no problem. But as I’ve aged, and arthritis and muscle issues have set in, it’s not quite as easy to maintain a good grip on an aluminum hook. I was only a third of the way through this time, though, when I ripped it out again and waited for the arrival of the set of ergonomic hooks I ordered.
Those ergonomic hooks really made a difference. It was much easier to maintain the proper tension. It took me a little over a week to complete the baby blanket, but it’s finally done. It’s actually in the wash as I write this. I love working with variegated and mosaic yarns. I think it turned out okay.
I’m going to give myself a break for a couple of days before I start the next baby blanket for another new family member who is already here. I’m going to try a different pattern and hope I don’t have to go through the same process again.
This post is part of SoCS.